What is Relate Family Counselling?
Family Counselling is a service offered to families who are struggling with communication and relationship issues.
Who can come to the sessions?
Family Counselling is designed to work with:
- Parents and children struggling to communicate effectively
- Parents whose different ideas around parenting cause friction and disagreement
- Adult siblings who have unresolved issues
- Children or young people struggling with a sibling or other significant relationship
- Blended families coping with bringing together a ‘new’ family
- Older parents and their grown up children
- Family members who are recovering from the influence of abuse which affects their lives and relationships.
How does is work?
The counsellor will help you to explore your feelings around the significant relationships in your life and look at ways in which changes could be made to help you move forward in a positive way. It aims to create a context in which the voice of the child can be heard and where the feelings of all family members are recognized and considered.
Parents Are For life
Just because parents are splitting up doesn't change the fact that they are parents. Telling children that one parent is leaving isn't easy.
There isn't a rule book but there are important messages and things that can be done to make it easier for the children.
Many children of parents who are no longer together say:
- I felt to blame
- I felt I had to take sides
- I was confused but both my parents were so unhappy, I couldn't talk to them
- They talked about their divorce, but I felt divorced too.
Every family has arguments at some time. Usually they are easily resolved but sometimes the problems just get worse and the longer they are left the more difficult it is to make up, creating tension and stress for everyone.
You can see a Relate Family Counsellor individually, as a small group or the whole family together. We won't take sides or tell you what to do, we will encourage each family member to have a voice and help you to resolve your differences together.
How can it help me?
All families are unique and have different problems but our counsellors are experienced relationship professionals and are specially trained to work with families to help them resolve their difficulties.